Foreign forces pull out of Nawzad district
LASHKARGAH (PAN): International troops have pulled out of the Nawzad district of southern Helmand province, leaving security responsibility for the town to Afghan forces, officials said on Sunday.
Foreign forces withdrew from their checkpoints across the district last month, Syed Murad Agha, the town’s administrative chief, confirmed to Pajhwok Afghan News. “In the district centre, only few foreign soldiers are present to help us with security.”
Without revealing any reason for the premature pullout, Agha said less than half of the district was under government control and Afghan forces could protect it.
Provincial police chief Brig. Gen. Abdul Nabi Elham also verified the withdrawal and said they were facing no security problem in the district. They asked the international troops to leave as the number of Afghan forces in the district was adequate, added.
Security transition is yet happen in the district, which is not included even in third phase of the switch.
An International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) commander in Nawzad told journalists that they had vacated the district after consultations with Afghan partners. They would participate in operations, if need be, he explained.
Provincial capital Lashkargah, Nawa, Nad Ali and Marja districts in Helmand are on the list for the third phase of security transition.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.