Accidents & Disasters
Dozens of shops gutted in JalalabadBy Abdul Mueed Hashimi Jun 2, 2012 - 19:24
JALALABAD (PAN): Dozens of shops were gutted on Saturday in a market fire in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, officials said.
The blaze in front of the Sultanzoy Market was triggered by a short circuit at about 5pm, Mohammad Yousaf, head of the shopkeepers’ union, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
At least 50 scrap and carpentry shops were destroyed as a result of the fire that inflicted a loss of three million afghanis ($60,000) on the shopkeepers, he said, praising firefighters for their timely action to control the blaze.
Jalalabad’s deputy police chief Col. Ibadullah Talwar confirmed the incident, saying the fire was sparked by an electric short circuit. However, he would not put a figure on the losses.
One of the affected shopkeepers, Ahmad, said: “My shop has been burnt completely. All the items I recently purchased on credit in Pakistan have been devoured by the fire. The government should help me.”