Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Karzai cuts short China trip due to civilian killings

Karzai cuts short China trip due to civilian killings

Jun 07, 2012 - 13:30

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): President Hamid Karzai cut short his China trip due to latest civilian casualties in Wednesday’s airstrike by NATOinfo-icon-led troops in the central province of Lgar, the Presidential Palace said on Thursday.

Karzai is shortening his official visit to China following the International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) raid in Logar province and suicide attacks in the southern Kandahar province, said a statement from his office. Karzai is in Beijing to attend the two-day Shanghai Cooperation Organisation summit.

Nearly 22 civilians were killed and 50 others wounded in twin suicide attacks in Kandahar, while 18 people died in the ISAF strike in Logar, the statement said while denouncing the assaults.

“The NATO operations that claimed civilian lives and caused losses to people are simply unacceptable,” said the statement. Karzai telephone Vice President Mohammad Qaseem Fahim and the governors of Logar and Kandahar on Wednesday night to check on the attacks. 

So far ISAF had not confirmed the civilian casualties and said they had launched investigation into the allegations.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update