Students of Kabul girls’ school poisoned
KABUL (PAN): Some students of Chehel Satoon Girls’ School were poisoned and shifted to a hospital in the capital Kabul on Tuesday, officials said on Tuesday.
A 12th grade student, Bilqis, told Pajhwok Afghan News that her mates and teachers fell to the ground after they felt a strange smell while leaving the school at 11:30am.
Later, ambulances reached the scene and shifted poisoned students and teachers to the hospital.
Bismillah, 45, said he evacuated two of his daughters to Nijat Hospital in the Dahan-i-Bagh area of Chehel Satoon. They were discharged after medical treatment.
A doctor at the hospital, Noorullah Yousafzai, confirmed receiving 13 poisoned girls, with three of them having been discharged and the rest still under medical care.
Public health ministry spokesman, Dr. Ghulam Sakhi Kargar Noor Oghli, said 14 poisoned students were taken to the Ibn-i-Sina Emergency Hospital. They were released after regaining consciousness.
Motive behind the poisoning attacks was still unclear, he said, adding that symptoms such as vomiting, weakness and giddiness were seen among the affected students.
Dozens of families stood at the entrance to the school to know their children’s condition, said Fahima, one of the guardians.
She complained: "The school administration didn’t let us in; nor did it allow students to leave. Finally, students were allowed to leave an hour behind schedule.”
But Education Director Najibullah Kamran denied the incident, saying that only one vomiting girl was taken out of the school. That fuelled rumours of poisoning among students, he concluded.