14 civilians, 22 rebels killed in new violence
KABUL (PAN): Fourteen civilians were killed and nine others injured in two bomb explosions in the Arghistan district of southern Kandahar province, officials said on Sunday.
In the first blast at around 9 am in Shna Narai area of the district, a truck carrying 20 people, including children and women, struck a roadside bomb, the governor's spokesman said.
Javed Faisal told Pajhwok Afghan News the second explosion occurred when a tractor-trolly shifting victims of the first blast struck another roadside bomb.
Faisal said a total of 14 civilians were killed and nine injured in both incidents. He accused armed insurgents of plotting the attacks.
In southern Helmand, six policemen and 22 armed insurgents were killed during a clash in Musa Qala district on Saturday night, said Daud Ahmadi, the governor's spokesman.
He said the incident took place at around 1 pm on Saturday night and lasted until 7 am, when a police check-post came under militant attack. But a Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousaf Ahmad, said their fighters killed five policemen, including their commander.
Separately, a woman was killed during a clash between the Taliban and a public uprising group in the Ander district of southern Ghazni province, said Eng. Lotfullah Kamrani, the anti-militant group commander.
He said the incident took place in Nazarwalo area of district on Saturday noon, where they attacked the insurgents and the woman was killed in the cross fire.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed two women were killed by a local militia on their way from Rustam Qala to Nazarwalo area of the district. But the anti-militant group rejected the claim as baseless.
In northern Takhar, two would-be suicide attackers were detained by intelligence operatives in Qazaq area of Taloqan city, the provincial capital, the local intelligence office said in a statement.
The statement identified the detainees as Rahim Khuda and Syed Abdur Rahman, residents of Takhar and Badakhshan provinces. It said four suicide-vests and some explosives were also seized from them.
Another four mine planters, involved in last week’s bomb attack, were detained by police in the Kahmard district of central Bamyan province, the police spokesman Yarzada told a news conference.
He said that a gun, two boxes of bullets, three landmines, six hand grenades, 15 rockets and other explosives were also seized from the accused.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.