24 militants killed in day-long security operation
KABUL /MAIMANA (PAN): The Ministry of Interior on Thursday claimed that 24 militants were killed during a day-long security opearations in different parts of the country, while eight civilians killed in a roadside bombing in northern Faryab province.
Six more insurgents were also injured and 40 others detained in nine joint operations conducted by Afghan and International Security Assistance Force troops, said a ministry’s statement.
The security raids were launched in Nangarhar, Baghlan, Takhar, Faryab, Kandahar, Zabul, Ghazni, Ghore and Helmand provinces.
Up to 935 kilogrammes of drugs, 12 different weapons, ammunition, two walki-talkies, two cars and as many motorcycles were also recovered during the operations, added the statement.
A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousuf Ahmadi, said they killed three policemen and injured four others in a roadside bombing in Myanshin district of Kandahar, and killed two policemen and injured another in a similar attack in Achin district of Nangarhar.
He also said Taliban destroyed one military vehicle and killed all soldiers on aboard when security forces launched an offensive in Nowbahar district of Zabul province.
Separately, eight civilians were killed and seven others wounded after their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in Karez Qala of Pakhtunkot district in Faryab, on Thursday morning, provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Abdul Khaliq Aqsai told Pajhwok Afghan News.
A woman and a child were among the injured brought to the Afghan-Turk hospital in Maimana city, said a doctor on duty Asadullah, adding that some wounded victims were in critical condition.
Aqsai accused Taliban fighters of planting the roadside bomb, but no one has so far claimed responsibility for the blast.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.