30 rebels shun violence in GhorBy Mohammad Hassan Hakimi Aug 3, 2012 - 17:05
CHAGHCHARAN (PAN): Thirty insurgents joined the government-initiated peace process in western Ghor province, taking the number of militants surrendering this year to 300, an official said on Friday.
Led by Mullah Abdul Karim, Mullah Zarif and Mohammad Musa, the former fighters reconciled with the government in Shahrak and Charsadda districts, the governor’s spokesman said.
Abdul Hai Khatibi told Pajhwok Afghan News the individuals had been active against government and foreign troops for the last four years. They surrendered as a result of joint efforts by peace negotiators and intelligence operatives.
The surrendering men also turned in 22 guns. Mullah Zarif said they had joined the peace process after realising that they had been deceived through propaganda.
The ex-rebel commander said he and his colleagues were ready for cooperation with the government in bringing peace and stability to the country. However, he urged the authorities to provide them with jobs and launch reconstruction projects in their districts.
Governor Abdullah Hewad promised addressing the problems being faced by them. Fourteen groups, comprised of 300 insurgents, have joined the peace programme this year in Ghor.