Karzai assists families of Nimroz attacks victims
ZARANJ (PAN): President Hamid Karzai, accompanied by some of his Cabinet ministers, on Tuesday arrived in the capital of northwestern Nimroz province and met with relatives of those killed and wounded in last week’s coordinated suicide attacks.
The suicide attacks executed in Nimroz and northern Kunduz provinces a week back killed 40 people and injured dozens others. President Karzai, who arrived in Zaranj, Nimroz capital, at around 12pm, addressed a gathering attended by relatives of the victims, tribal elders and government officials.
Before his address, Governor Abdul Karim Barahvi said there were a total of 12 suicide bombers divided into two groups. Their target was government offices and markeptplaces in the city, he said.
The first group was identified and killed by security forces, but the second squad was able to carry out its attacks, killing 35 people and injuring 120 others. Most of the dead and wounded were civilians, the governor said.
President Karzai said his visit to the province was aimed at sharing his grief with relatives of those killed and wounded in the attacks. He would also discuss with local officials reconstruction process in the province, besides other subjects. Karzai called the attacks inhuman and un-Islamic act, saying such attacks took place in Kandahar, Khost and other provinces during the holy month of Ramazan.
The president said the people of Nimroz were peace-loving. He instructed provincial officials to ensure the injured were given special attention at hospitals. Those who sustained grave injuries be evacuated to other provinces and the central capital for treatment, said Karzai, who gave 100,000 afghanis in assistance to families losing their members . Those injured reiceved 50,000 afghanis each from the president.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.