Faryab security transitions to Afghans
MAIMANA (PAN): The security responsibility for northern Faryab province transitioned from Norwegian forces to their Afghan counterparts on Wednesday, as part of the third phase of the switch, officials said.
A ceremony marking the security transfer was attended by Deputy Interior Minister Lt. Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahman, the ISAF commander in the north and local officials, including Governor Ahmad Faisal Nekzad.
Nekzad said although Afghan forces had received remarkable training, they needed advanced weapons and other facilities to be able to assume the responsibility in a befitting manner.
He acknowledged the overall security situation in three districts -- Ghormach, Pakhtunkot and Almar -- remained volatile, asking the authorities concerned to pay due attention to stabilising the towns.
He said the provincial capital, Maimana, had been divided into three police districts and there was a need for creating more. The number of security personnel responsible for security on the Faryab highway was inadequate and hence the need for deploying additional forces, he added.
The deputy interior minister thanked Norwegian troops for their contribution to maintaining security in the province, hoping Afghan forces would be able to effectively assume the responsibility.
He said Afghan forces had the capability to maintain security for the entire country and there would be no problems in Faryab after the withdrawal of foreign troops.
The ISAF commander said the security transition process in Faryab had been completed successfully. He believed Afghan forces needed to be strengthened and the government required continued international support.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.