90 rebels killed, landmines seized in offensive
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): Ninety rebels were killed and 400 landmines seized during an ongoing security operation codenamed “Firm Decision” in southern Kandahar and Zabul provinces, an official said on Wednesday.
Addressing a weekly meeting at the governor's office, 205th Atal Military Corps Commander Col. Abdul Hamid said the operation had been effective. The offensive, involving Afghan forces, began a month ago and would end on Thursday, he added.
Chaired by Governor Toryalai Weesa, the meeting was attended by Afghan army and police officials. Commanders of foreign troops and United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) representatives were also present.
Weesa praised Afghan forces for foiling insurgent plots and ensuring security for the people. The governor directed security officials to remain cautious in the recruitment process. He said no military drills be carried out in the Tarang Farm area, where an agriculture university was being established.
Also present on the occasion was the Kandahar intelligence chief, Col. Esa Mohammad, who said nine fighters were detained by intelligence operatives during operations in Panjwai, Zherai and Maiwand districts. More than 44 kilograms of opium, two vehicles, 220 mortar shells and 23 landmines were seized, he added.
Separately, 10 Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers were killed and six others injured during separate incidents over the past 24 hours in various parts of the country, the defence ministry said. The casualties resulted from explosions and gun attacks in Laghman, Logar, Herat, Paktia and Kandahar provinces.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.