ISAF, Afghan official differ over Paktia raid
GARDEZ (PAN): The NATO-led International Security Force (ISAF) on Saturday said that several insurgents, including a Taliban leader believed to be behind the Nov. 10, 2011 suicide attack, were arrested during a joint operation in southeastern Paktia province, contradicting claims that a civilian had been killed and others arrested.
An ISAF statement said the Thursday’s operation, also involving Afghan forces, was conducted in the Syed Karam district. A Haqqani network leader accused of making and planning roadside bombs and conducting attacks on Afghan and coalition forces was also arrested during the operation, it said.
As the joint force attempted to enter the Taliban leader’s compound, an insurgent opened fire at them. The attacker was killed in return fire.
However, an official said one civilian was killed and seven others were detained by foreign troops during the night-time operation.
The operation was conducted on a house where a wedding party was taking place in Chino area on Thursday, the governor’s spokesman, Rohulllah Samoon, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Local authorities had not been informed about the operation, he said, adding the slain man had recently returned from Kuwait on vacations and the detainees were all civilians.
Tribal elder Haji Wali said the operation was conducted on the house of the bride and the victim belonged to her family. The bride’s family members and some guests were among those detained, he said. The forces smashed locks of boxes and took away gold, money and other things, he alleged.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.