Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

15 dead in Taliban attack on NATO convoy

15 dead in Taliban attack on NATO convoy

Oct 01, 2012 - 10:10

KHOST CITY (PANinfo-icon):  Fifteen people, including three foreign soldiers, were killed in a massive suicide bomb attack on a NATO convoy in the southeastern Khost province on Monday morning, officials said. 

The International Security Assistant Force (ISAFinfo-icon) confirmed three of its soldiers and an Afghan translator were killed in the 8:30 am attack, which targeted a patrol passing about 100 meters from the governor's office in Khost City.

The Ministry of the Interior said four police officers and seven civilians were among the dead. Another 53 civilians were wounded in the attack, according to a statement from the ministry, which said the casualties included womeninfo-icon and children.

A local police official in Khost told Pajhwok Afghan News on condition of anonymity that the commander of the Khost Rapid Reaction Force, Lt. Col. Mubarak Shah, had been killed in the attack.  

A Talibaninfo-icon spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, identified the bomber as Shoaib Kunduzi -- a member of the militant movement. He claimed six US soldiers, one of their interpreters, the Rapid Reaction Force provincial chief and six policemen were killed.

Following the explosion, he said, NATOinfo-icon troops shot dead two civilians and wounded several others. But the claim could not be verified independently.

President Hamid Karzai denounced the assault as intolerable, and condoled with the victims' relatives. He also prayed for the swift recovery of the injured, the Presidential Palace said in a statement.

The US embassy also condemned the bombing, saying it further illustrateed that the insurgents had no respect for the safety and security of the Afghan people.

"The United States mourns the loss of life in Khost and our sympathies extend to all the victims and their families. We remain an unwavering partner of the Afghan people in the fight against international terrorism." 

Earlier in the day, Public Healthinfo-icon Director Dr. Amir Badshah Mangal said three dead bodies and 30 injured people were transported to hospital. He added the victims were all civilians, with many of the injured in critical condition.

Doctors at the Rahman Baba Hospital said they had received six bodies and 15 injured. Another 16 injured individuals were evacuated to the Matoon Baba Hospital in the city.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update