Security agencies probing Iran missile strike
KABUL (PAN): The Ministry of the Interior (MoI) and the National Directorate of Security (NDS) said on Thursday they were investigating reports of an Iranian missile attack on border posts in the southwestern province of Nimroz.
"We've opened an investigation into the incident," MoI spokesman Ghulam Siddique Siddiqui told Pajhwok Afghan News. "We're working closely with the Nimroz governor and will announce the result of the investigation later today."
Shafiqullah Taheri, a spokesman for the NDS, said the agency had received reports about the Iranian missile strike from the Nimroz authorities and that it had opened its own investigation into the incident.
Nimroz Governor Sarwar Subat told Pajhwok Afghan News late on Wednesday that dozens of missiles had been fired at three Afghan border posts between 4:30pm and 8pm on Wednesday.
No casualties were caused, Subat said, adding that the missiles might have accidentally strayed across the border during an Iranian military exercise. He said he had demanded an explanation from the Iranian authorities.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.