10 civilians dead in Uruzgan minibus blast
TIRINKOT (PAN): Ten civilians were killed when a minibus hit a roadside bomb in Dihrawud district of central Uruzgan province on Thursday morning, an official said.
Dihrawud district Chief Amenullah Khaliqi told Pajhwok Afghan News that the attack happened at about 11:00am on Thursday between Gazak and Shoraab areas.
The injured victims were sent to Tirinkot city civil hospital, he added.
Uruzgan provincial council chief Ibrahim Akhonzada said the passengers were on their way to welcome
a relative who had returned home from Saudi Arabia after performing his Haj.
So far no group had claimed responsibility for the morning attack where women and children perished, he added.
Meanwhile, President Hamid Karzai condemned the roadside bombing, describing it as an inhumane act that killed innocent people, said a Presidential Palace statement.
According to the statement, Karzai called the brutal attack as an act of terrorist and against humanity.
“Planting bombs along roads and killing innocent people is cruel act and they are the enemies of Islam and humanity,” said the president.
In a statement, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) also condmened the bombing that was targeted against civilians.
"Today's attack was a callous and shameful act against Afghan citizens. Mere days after the recent holy day of Ashura and conclusion of the sacred period of Muharram, the insurgency has continued its murderous assault on Afghan civilians," said Brig. Gen. Günter Katz, ISAF Spokesman.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.