Afghan forces ready to take combat lead: Azimi
KABUL (PAN): Afghans forces are poised to take security responsibilities of more provinces as the fourth stage of security switch is to be implemented in 87 percent of Afghanistan’s territory, the Ministry of Defence said on Wednesday.
The security transition process from NATO-led troops to Afghan forces has already covered twenty-three of the country's 34 provinces since the transfer was agreed on at the Lisbon Summit in Portugal in 2010.
The defence ministry said Afghan forces were ready to successfully complete the fourth phase of security transition that targeted 52 administrative units in 13 provinces including Badakhan, Badghis, Baghlan, Farah, Faryab, Ghazni, Ghor, Helmand, Herat, Jawzjan, Kunduz, Sar-i-Pul and Maidan Wardak.
The past experience showed Afghan security personnel could keep better security for areas where they replaced foreign troops, the ministry's spokesman, Maj. Gen. Zahir Azimi, said.
He added 15 to 20 percent improvement had been noticed in areas now controlled by local forces.
Afghans are ready to take the security responsibilities of more provinces of their homeland as the fourth stage of security transition process is to be implemented in 87 percent of Afghanistan’s territory.
Officials say Afghan forces will be in the lead for security nation-wide by the summer of 2013.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.