Faizi downplays report on prisoner transfers
On Jan. 17, the New York Times reported the US military had suspended sending detainees to some Afghan prisons amid concerns over human rights violations and torture.
It quoted US and International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) officials as saying the process had been shelved on the basis of reports regarding inmates’ mistreatment.
But Aimal Faizi, Karzai’s spokesman, said the issue of Afghanistan’s sovereignty was more important to the government and the prisoners’ handover was part of it.
Speaking to Pajhwok Afghan News, he said President Karzai had won an assurance from his US counterpart Barack Obama during his recent visit to Washington on the handover of all inmates to Afghan authorities.
High Peace Council’s Deputy Chairman Abdul Hakim Mujahid, calling for a clear mechanism, urged the Obama administration to honour its commitment on inmate transfers.
With the process put on hold, he suggested, the Karzai government should assure the US that inmates rights were respected by Afghan prison authorities.
A consistent demand of Kabul, nationwide prisoners’ handover resumed last year after it was suspended in 2011, when the United Nations reported widespread torture at Afghan jails.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.