White House asks Senate to confirm Allen
WASHINGTON (PAN): A day after a Pentagon investigation cleared Gen John Allen, the top commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, of any irregularities and wrongdoings, the White House on Wednesday urged the Senate to confirm his nomination.
“The investigation is now complete. And General Allen's nomination, rather, to serve as the next supreme allied commander-Europe will proceed,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
He hoped the Senate would consider his nomination soon. “We will press the Senate to do just that,” he said, voicing the White House’s satisfaction with the investigation results.
“The (Department of Defense) DoD's investigator-general's investigation of that matter is now complete, and we welcome its findings. Therefore, we intend for the nomination to proceed,” the official told a questioner.
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, having been informed that the investigation had been completed, was pleased to learn that the allegations of professional misconduct had not been substantiated, Pentagon spokesman George Little said on Tuesday.
Pentagon conducted the investigation following charges that Allen had written inappropriate emails to a socialite. “The secretary has complete confidence in the continued leadership of General Allen, who is serving with distinction in Afghanistan,” Little said in a statement.
This comes as a big relief to Gen Allen, whose career came to a halt last year after his name appeared in the scam that Gen. David Petraeus as CIA Director.
After Allen’s nomination was suspended, a Congressional hearing in this regard was also shelved. He is scheduled to hand over the Afghan command next month. But there was no word when that process will resume.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.