Here is Pajhwok’s continuous news coverage of the presidential runoff...
Security and Crime
Private guards on Kabul-Herat road disarmedBy Bashir Ahmad Naadim Feb 14, 2013 - 20:25
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): All private security firms, previously responsible for providing security to logistic convoys on the Kabul-Herat highway, have been dissolved, the deputy interior minister said on Thursday.
Abdul Rahman Rahman told a gathering in Kandahar city, the capital of southern Kandahar province, about 1,250 light and heavy weapons collected from the dismantled firms, including six in Herat, were delivered to the Disarmament of Illegal Armed Groups programme officials on Thursday.
Some ministers, Kandahar police chief Brig. Gen. Abdul Raziq, lawmakers and tribal elders attended the meeting.
Rahman said the dissolution that came in respond to public complaints was part of an assessment of the security situation ahead of embarking on the fourth phase of security transition from foreign troops to Afghans.
Security for the highway that passed through various provinces had been handed over to national police and local police personnel until they were replaced with public order police, said the deputy interior minister, who added the composition and other related matters of the public order police force had been completed by 35 percent.
Wolesi Jirga member Hameedzai Lalai called for action against illegal armed groups in northern provinces, where residents had long been complaining of harassment by these armed individuals.