Withdrawal won’t fuel insecurity: ISAF
KABUL (PAN): The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) on Thursday welcomed President Barack Obama’s decision on troop pullout, saying the move would have no negative impact on Afghanistan’s internal security.
Late on Tuesday night, Obama called his Afghan counterpart Hamid Karzai to inform him of his decision to withdraw some 34,000 of the American 60,000 troops currently stationed in Afghanistan in the next one year.
Currently, 66,000 American troops are stationed in Afghanistan and the US military mission is scheduled to end over the next two years.
The withdrawal of US troops would not impinge on the internal security of Afghanistan, ISAF military spokesman Günter Katz told Pajhwok Afghan News.
“It is up to the United States to decide which areas of Afghanistan its troops will leave. I believe the pullout of foreign troops from the country is a responsible action,” he remarked.
Katz said the troop withdrawal was no new issue, because a decision in this regard had been taken at the NATO summit in Lisbon in 2012.
He said armed rebels had lost the ability to enter face-to-face combat with Afghan forces. “Still there are concerns about equipping the Afghan air force. It will be properly equipped and become self-sufficient till 2016.”
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.