Two journalists receive attack threatsBy Pajhwok Report Feb 18, 2013 - 19:55
KABUL (PAN): Afghanistan’s National Journalists Union (ANJU) said on Monday that two of its senior members had been threatened in the past two days.
Farzana Wahidi, a photo journalist, was threatened while making a documentary on activities of a charity that works for women’s capacity building, ANJU said in a statement.
The people who warned the photographer of a possible attack said they were local officials of the government, she was quoted as saying.
Hamid Obaidi, the chief editor of the Jawanan Faal (Active Youth) weekly and lecturer at the Journalism Faculty of Kabul University, also received threats over the telephone, the statement added..
He was allegedly threatened by supporters of a Wolesi Jirga member. He was warned to take care and that his weekly would be shut down. The threat came after he aired a report regarding a car park being built in Shahr-i-Naw.
The ANJU said it had asked authorities concerned to ensure the journalists’ security. “Everyone thinks they are strong enough. That’s why journalists are threatened.
“Interior and information ministries are conveniently ignoring the threats,” said Mohammad Fahim Dashti, ANUJ chief executive.