Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Residents turning to Taliban for justice: IWA

Residents turning to Taliban for justice: IWA

Feb 19, 2013 - 17:25

KABUL (PAN): “Lack of access to justice and the rampant corruption in the judicial system have forced people into taking their cases to Taliban courts,” the Integrity Watch Afghanistan (IWA) said in on Tuesday.

The dark assessment came in a report that was released in Kabul, with the independent organisation saying it had closely monitored the judicial system and ascertained people’s views in central Bamyan and Kapisa provinces over the past 18 months.

Haris Jahangir, an IWA member, expressed grave concern at brazen corruption in the judicial sector. He said efforts by the international community and the Afghan government had failed to address the issue.

People had inadequate access to justice, because of the flawed legal system of the government, the IWA official observed. As a result, most residents of the two provinces approached Taliban courts in search of justice, he added.

Most courts lacked professional judges and there was no proper system of accountability for court officials, Jahangir added.

Yama Turabi, IWA chairman, told Pajhwok Afghan News 14 percent of cases were filed with courts in Bamyan and Kapisa over the past three months. The remaining 86 percent were decided in judges’ residences or private offices, he claimed.

Huge amounts of money were required for the trial of cases in court, and that was why the people referred approaching the Taliban for justice, Turabi concluded.




Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.