Care taken to cut civilian casualties: PentagonBy Lalit K Jha Feb 20, 2013 - 13:42
WASHINGTON (PAN): The United States always takes reports on civilian casualties in Afghanistan very seriously and tries to minimise them, the Pentagon said Tuesday.
Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told an off-camera news conference the US personnel took great care in avoiding civilian casualties during any operation in Afghanistan.
“When there are mishaps, we work closely with the government of Afghanistan,” he said in response to a UN report that noted a cut in civilian casualties in Afghanistan’s armed conflict for the first time in six years.
The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said there was a 12 percent drop in civilian deaths last year, compared with 2011.
The report linked the reduction, among other things, to fewer civilian deaths and injuries from ground engagement among parties to the conflict, as well as a decline in suicide attacks and smaller numbers of aerial operations.