Allegations being taken seriously: US military
KABUL (PAN): The US military on Monday acknowledged that allegations of misconduct against its special forces in the central province of Maidan Wardak were a serious issue that it intended to take up with Afghan government officials.
“US Forces Afghanistan is aware of the reporting of Presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi's comments. We take all allegations of misconduct seriously and go to great lengths to determine the facts surrounding them,” it said.
A day earlier, President Hamid Karzai’s chief spokesman said the National Security Council (NSC) had given American Special Forces two weeks to leave the province, following a spate of public complaints against them.
Addressing a media briefing in Kabul, Faizi said a number of Afghans had also been seen within the framework of the US Special Forces, which had been accused by local residents and officials of harassing the people.
“We have received a plethora of complaints, with elders from Maidan Wardak giving President Hamid Karzai evidence the forces storming people’s houses, torturing and killing the inmates,” said Faizi, who quoted local officials and residents as saying that nine people had been missing after being detained by the US forces.
Approached for comments, ISAF deputy public affairs officer Jamie Graybeal told Pajhwok Afghan News they took all allegations of misconduct seriously and went to great lengths to determine the facts surrounding them.
“But until we have had a chance to speak with senior government officials about this issue, we are not in a position to comment further. This is an important issue that we intend to fully discuss with our Afghan counterparts,” he added.