Here is our continuous news coverage of the election. We will update...
Security and Crime
No evidence of US forces’ misdemeanor: ISAFBy Muhammad Hassan Khetab Feb 25, 2013 - 16:26
KABUL (PAN): The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) on Monday said it had no evidence regarding the harassment of civilians by American Special Forces in central Maidan Wardak province.
A day earlier, President Hamid Karzai’s chief spokesman said the National Security Council (NSC) had given American forces two weeks to leave central Maidan Wardak province.
Aimal Faizi said a number of Afghans had also been seen within the framework of the US forces, which had been accused by local residents and officials of harassing the people.
Gunter Katz, the ISAF spokesman, told reporters in Kabul the NATO-led force was aware of the NSC decision on setting the deadline for the Americans to quit Wardak, but it had no concrete proof.
He said: “While taking allegations of people’s harassment very seriously, we are trying our bit to determine the reality. Hopefully, we will be able to find the facts soon.”
When asked if the foreign troops would quit the province if the charges were proved, the German brigadier general replied: “I cannot say the claims are correct. The evidence we have doesn’t support the allegations.”
Katz said ISAF was jointly working with Afghan government representatives on addressing the public complaints. All operations conducted in Maidan Wardak were coordinated with the Afghan forces. He insisted.