Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Jalalabad doctors boycott work

Jalalabad doctors boycott work

Feb 27, 2013 - 16:02

JALALABAD (PAN): Fifteen doctors of the Nangarhar Civil Hospital on Wednesday boycotted work due to lack of facilities and threats from local officials.

Former head of the orthopedic ward, Dr. Nawroz Shinwari, told Pajhwok Afghan News they lacked equipment at the hospital, including thread for stitching wounds.

“When we want to raise our problems, senior officials threaten us by sending security personnel to the hospital,” he claimed, and that was they had halted work.

While branding the public health department as incompetent, the doctors vowed to press on with their protest until their demands were accepted.

Another doctor, Khalid, accused the public health director of sending security personnel to threaten him while the department could not deliver even 20 percent of the services the people needed.

He called on the central government to resolve the issue, because the local administration’s incompetence and mismanagement hampered the effective delivery of public health services. “We have stopped working; only emergency cases are being handled.”

But Public Health Director Dr. Baz Mohammad Sherzad vehemently denied the claim regarding inadequacy of medicine and other facilities at the hospital. The doctors were protesting for their personal demands, he insisted.

Following his replacement by Dr. Fazal Hadi as head of orthopedic ward, Dr. Shinwari provoked some other doctors into boycotting work, the director alleged.

Regarding threats, he said the doctors had already warned of the strike and a strong reaction if they were asked to work. The security personnel had gone to deal with a possible unpleasant situation, he explained.

If the strike was not called off, the department would send other doctors to the hospital, he said, reiterating they had enough medical tools and machines.

Hospital head Dr. Humayun Zaheer also spurned the protesting doctors’ claims and accused them of violating service rules. “If I take drastic steps toward service improvement, there are protests. What should I do?” he asked.




Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.