Karzai to ISAF: turn over armed groups
KABUL (PAN): President Hamid Karzai on Thursday issued a new decree preventing security operations in the country by armed group outside the structure of Afghan forces.
He also ordered the creation of team to ask coalition forces to hand over such units established by them or working under their leadership within three months, his office said.
On Wednesday, The top US and NATO commander in Afghanistan met Karzai to discuss the security concerns of Maidan Wardak residents and the progress of the ISAF mission.
Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. reaffirmed the coalition's commitment to ensuring the safety and security of Afghan citizens. The leaders agreed to work together to address the concerns of the people of Wardak.
Earlier in the week, Karzai gave the US forces two weeks to quit the strategic province because of the alleged misconduct of the Afghans linked to them.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the National Security Council on Sunday in response to a plethora of complaints from Wardak residents, officials and elders that the forces raided people’s houses, torturing and killing the inmates.
Under the latest presidential decree, National Security Advisor Dr. Rangin Dadfar Spanta would head the delegation that would hold talks with the coalition, the Office of Administrative Affairs (OAA) said.
The team includes high-ranking officials from Ministries of Defence and Interior, National Directorate of Security and the Independent Directorate of Local Governance.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.