US seeks time to investigate misconduct claims
But Gen. Thomas, who met provincial authorities on Thursday, said they needed more time to thoroughly investigate the allegations of misconduct against the Afghans working with his forces.
Also on Thursday, President Karzai issued a new decree preventing security operations in the country by all armed groups outside the structure of Afghan forces.
He ordered the creation of team to ask coalition forces to hand over such units established by them or working under their leadership within three months.
Earlier in the week, Karzai gave the US forces two weeks to quit the strategic province because of the alleged misconduct of the Afghans linked to them.
Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the Wardak governor, told Pajhwok Afghan News Gen. Thomas headed a delegation to Maidan Shahr. He met the governor and Afghan military commanders on the situation.
While accepting Karzai’s decision, he said they would quit the province within the given timeframe. “We will thoroughly probe claims of civilians’ torture,” the commander was quoted as saying by Khogyani. He also sought time and cooperation from Afghan forces.
Governor Abdul Majid Khogyani said being a representative of the president he was duty-bound to address residents’ concerns. In case of failing to discharge his duty, he would share the issue with his seniors, the governor added.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.