Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Dunford regrets Uruzgan children's deaths

Dunford regrets Uruzgan children's deaths

Mar 02, 2013 - 17:50

 TIRINKOT (PANinfo-icon): Two children have been killed by Australian troops in the Chaharchino district of central Uruzgan province, officials said on Saturday. NATOinfo-icon called the shooting deaths mistaken, voicing its regrets.

The deaths occurred in Dowan area on Thursday, when the troops were conducting an aerial patrol of the village, a police spokesman told Pajhwok Afghan News. Farid Ayel said the soldiers had been tipped off about a possible insurgent attack and that they had mistakenly killed the children -- aged nine and 10 years.

Uruzgan Governor Amir Mohammad Akhundzada confirmed the incident, saying it remained unclear as to who had passed the flawed information to the Australian soldiers.

Provincial council head, Amanullah Hotaki, condemned the incident. He said some domestic animals had also been killed in the airstrike. The victims were grazing their cattle and collecting firewood, he added.

Meanwhile, the ISAFinfo-icon commander acknowledged the children’s deaths. “It is with deep regret that the ISAF announces its forces were responsible for the unintended death of two young civilians during an operation on Feb. 28 in Uruzgan province.”

While offering his personal apology and condolences to the family of the boys, Gen. Joseph Dunford said: "I am committed to ensuring we do the right thing for the families of those we harmed, as well as for the community in which they lived. We take full responsibility for this tragedy."

A joint Afghan-ISAF investigation team visited the location on Saturday and met local leaders, according to the NATO-led force, which promised appropriate steps to minimise such occurrences in the future.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update