100,000 students to make it to university
KABUL (PAN): The Ministry of Higher Education on Saturday announced up to 100,000 students securing above 250 marks in the recent university entrance test would be allowed admission to public sector universities.
The announcement came after hundreds of failing students protested in Kabul, calling for the examination to be conducted again. They alleged the results had been manipulated.
A ministry statement said all those students scoring 230 or above marks would be enrolled to higher education institutes in provinces.
The statement said up to 2,000 students with less than 230 numbers would be granted admission in private sector universities free of cost, while another 20,000 failed students absorbed in semi higher public education institutes and religious seminaries.
A new list of eligible students would be announced within next three days, the ministry said, adding students would be referred to relevant public and private sector universities in a week time.
The Ministry of Higher Education last month announced the results, declaring more than 43,000 candidates out of the total more than 175,000 appeared as passed.
The percentage of successful students in Daikundi, Faryab, Uruzgan and Helmand provinces is more than 75 percent while only 16 percent students passed the test in Kabul.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.