Violence up against journalists: NAI
KABUL (PAN): Seventy-one incidents of violence against journalists took place in Afghanistan during the outgoing solar year, indicating a nine percent increase over the previous year, a media advocacy group said on Wednesday.
NAI chief Sadiqullah Tawhidi told a press conference in Kabul that one journalists was killed in a landmine blast and seven others were wounded in separate incidents of violence during the period, when 26 reporters were physically attacked, four arrested, 28 others threatened and five more insulted.
He said government officials were responsible for 65 percent of the violent incidents. The reporter killed the roadside bombing was Abdul Hadi Hamdard, who worked for the Radio Television of Afghanistan (RTA).
He did not give any figures for incidents of violence that happened a year before, but his organisation said three reporters were killed, six injured, 33 beaten and two detained in 2011, when 21 media people were threatened and 15 others insulted.
Despite violence, Tawhidi said, journalists had been able to perform their duty and come up with authentic reports. Without going into details, the NAI official warned next year could be more problematic for journalists.
Tolo TV reporter Salehi Sadat told Pajhwok Afghan News in addition to facing security threats, journalists were denied access to information.
"When we approach a government office for information, we start receiving threats," he alleged, asking government officials and common people to cooperate with media representatives in line of duty.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.