President hails US troops’ move to quit Wardak
The US move toward troop pullout from the strategic province comes weeks after a presidential decree and National Security Council (NSC) decision that foreign troops leave Wardak.
A day earlier, the two sides reached an agreement on the departure of foreign troops from the province near the capital. But a timeline for the withdrawal is yet to be announced.
Defence ministry spokesman Gen. Zahir Azimi told reporters on Wednesday the American forces would exit Nirkh district within a few days.
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) commander Gen. Joseph Dunford also said that Afghan forces would replace coalition troops in the district.
Last month, the president ordered the special forces’ expulsion after villagers accused them of torturing and killing civilians.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.