Fund embezzlement irks Kunduz residents
KUNDUZ CITY (PAN): A number of residents of northern Kunduz province on Sunday accused the Khanabad district development council head and his deputy of embezzling uplift funds.
The area people complained most public welfare projects were executed in a way to serve in the interest of powerful individuals. As a result, they claimed, ordinary remained backward.
But Ziaul Haq, the district development council head, rejected the allegations as baseless, saying hundreds of families had benefited from water supply and road projects in the town.
Drinking water wells, bridges, culverts and road roads were being built by the provincial chapter of the National Solidarity Programme (NSP), he added.
Mohammad Amir, a resident of the Kabuli area of the district, claimed most projects were designed and implemented to serve the interest of NSP officials.
He told Pajhwok Afghan News the development council’s deputy chief had dug up two wells inside his residence, while other wells were located in inaccessible hard-to-reach areas.
Abdul Saboor, another resident, alleged the projects were of poor quality and council officials had stolen funds. He said dozens of wells had been drilled four years ago.
On the other hand, Haq said 300 families benefited from drinking water and transport projects. He explained a hydropower project would be implemented in near future.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.