Kunar airstrike victims' families compensated
ASADABAD (PAN): Families of those killed and wounded in an ISAF airstrike in eastern Kunar were on Monday paid $1,824 (100,000 afghains) in compensation for each dead and 50,000afs for each injured, officials said.
The last week's airstrike in Shegal district killed 17 people, including 12 children, and injured six women.
Acting on President Karzai's directives, his advisor Shuja Abdul Malik Jalala, Governor Syed Fazullah Wahidi and Senator Rafiullah Haidari handed over the financial aid to the victims' families.
Wahidi told Pajhwok Afghan News anyone who killed civilians was not a friend. He urged residents not to allow insurgents to enter residential areas and asked the rebels to stop attacking security forces near civilian homes.
Syedajan, who lost his daughter and two nephews to the airstrike, said nothing could bring him back his relatives alive, but he was thankful to the government for its assistance. He asked the government to prevent a reoccurrence of such an incident in future.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.