Heratis refuse to bury relatives killed in Iran
HERAT CITY (PAN): Relatives and residents of western Herat province on Thursday refused to bury the dead bodies of 13 Afghans executed in Iran until an international probe into the deaths was launched.
Placed in coffins, the bodies were on Wednesday released to their kin after being brought from Iran, where they had been killed and immediately buried six months ago.
Relatives on Wednesday said the corpses were dug out of graves 25 kilometers inside Iran. Nearly 400 people on Thursday placed the coffins in front of the Iranian Consulate in Herat City and refused to bury them until an international investigation into the execution was launched.
Mir Khan, who's son and a brother were among the dead, said his family and others had been able to bring the dead home after paying money to the Iranians. He accused the government of extending them no cooperation in bringing back the dead.
“The government has neither listened to us nor it assisted us in this regard. The international community should launch an investigation into the execution of innocent Afghans,” he said.
However, deputy police chief Brig. Gen. Abdul Hameed Hameedi called for an early burial of the dead, saying the corpses had already been in graves in Iran for six months.
Provincial council member Arbab Sher Ahmad said the bodies should be buried as soon as possible, asking the government to take urgent steps at launching an investigation into the execution
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.