Faryab clashes displace hundreds of families
MAIMANA (PAN): Eleven armed rebels, two Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers and as many civilians were killed as a result of recent clashes that displaced over 600 families in the Qaisar district of northern Faryab province, officials said on Saturday.
Ahmad Javed Baidar, the governor’s spokesman, said more than a dozen militants had been killed over the past two days in Qaisar, where the rebels tried to recapture the areas they had lost.
Abdul Jamil Siddiqui, the district’s administrative head, said two Taliban commanders -- Ghulam Hazrat and Mullah Abdul Rahman -- were among the dead. Two army soldiers were killed and a third wounded in a roadside bombing in Khwaja Kinti village.
But the Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousuf Ahmadi claimed, they had gained control of seven security check-posts in Khwaja Kinti, where two police commanders named Akhtar and Mir Agha were killed along with other personnel.
He added six more security personnel, including one commander named Hakim, were injured and 10 weapons and six motorbikes seized by the fighters.
The clashes also caused civilian casualties and displaced hundreds families. A young girl and a woman were killed when a mortar landed in the house of Mullah Yousaf, the district chief said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.