Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

NSC OKs $60m for heavy weapons’ repairs

NSC OKs $60m for heavy weapons’ repairs

May 05, 2013 - 22:45

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Afghanistaninfo-icon’s National Security Council (NSC) on Sunday ordered the Ministry of Finance to arrange $60 million for repairs of heavy weaponry and armoured vehicles, the Presidential Palace said.

At an NSC meeting chaired by President Hamid Karzai, Chief of Army Staff Gen. Sher Mohammad Karimi submitted a report to participants on the heavy weapons, tanks and other vehicles in defence ministry’s depots.

In line with a previous decision of the council, Gen. Karimi said, some cannons, BM-21, BM 12 and BM-1 missile launch vehicles, mortar guns, as well as light arms had been refurbished.

Senior ministry officials informed the meeting they had 800 tanks, including T-62, 55, 54 and BMP (Boyevaya Mashina Pekhoty) 1 and 2 -- infantry fighting vehicles – in their depots, which also contained light weapons that needed repairs.

A statement from Karzai’s office said the council directed the defence ministry to take immediate steps, using its own resources, to renovate the weaponry. The finance ministry was asked to pay the defence ministry $60 million for the task. The repairs have to be completed in a year and NSC briefed on progress every three months.

Interior Minister Mujtaba Patang, Deputy Minister of Defence Inayatullah Nazari and Gen. Hassamuddin, the deputy chief of the Afghan spy service, presented details on the border posts being vacated by US troops in Paktika province.

The defence ministry was instructed to send Afghan soldiers, police and other security personnel to the posts in Shkin area.

Similarly, the interior ministry was asked to take steps for dispatching local security personnel to the posts vacated by foreign forces in other parts of the country.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update