Waliur Rehman’s death called big bow to TTP
WASHINGTON (PAN): The death of TTP leader Waliur Rehman Mehsud in a drone strike, if true, would be a big blow to the terrorist outfit, the White House said on Wednesday, asserting the US would continue to go after Al-Qaeda.
“We are not in a position to confirm the reports of Wali-ur-Rehman's death,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
“If these reports were true, or prove to be true, it's worth noting that his demise would deprive the TTP, Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, of its second-in-command and chief military strategist,” he said in response to a question.
He was wanted in connection with the murder of seven American citizens on December 30, 2009 at Forward Operating Base Chapman in Afghanistan’s southeastern province of Khost, Carney added.
“While I am not in a position to confirm the reports of his death, it's important to note who this individual is,” he said, declining to comment on the operational matter or individual cases.
Responding to questions, Carney said the America’s drone policy was laid out by the US President, Barack Obama, in a speech last week and is public.
“Those standards are now there for the American public and the world to see. That does not mean that we would be able to discuss the details of every counterterrorism operation, but it does mean that there are standards in place that are public and available for every American to review,” he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.