Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Mothers lack access to health services

Mothers lack access to health services

Jun 12, 2013 - 20:25

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): The National Safe Mother Day was observed in the country on Wednesday at a time when mothers lack access to basic healthinfo-icon facilities in several provinces.

Faroza, a resident of Gujran district in central Daikundi province, said traditional midwives helped pregnant womeninfo-icon deliver babies due to the lack of health services.

She said people in Bolan area had to walk for about four hours to reach a health centre for treatment of their patients. When asked about the National Safe Mother Day, she replied: “Brother! I do not know this.”   

Public Health Director Dr. Timor Shah Yousufi acknowledged insufficient health facilities in the Gujran district, saying doctors and midwives refused to perform duty in remote parts.

He said Gujran was 230 kilometers from Neli, the provincial capital, and there was only one midwife available in the district centre.

Ali Ahmad, a resident of Bakwa district in western Farah province, complained there was no health center and clinic in their district. He said residents had to cover a long distance reaching Farah City, the provincial capital.

He said the residents of Guzari Khord area took eight hours to reach a health centre in Farah City. He recalled when he was transferring his pregnant wife to the provincial capital last year for medical check-up, she lost the baby on the way to hospital.

Nafas Gul, a Sheghnan district resident in northeastern Badakhshan province, said women had no access to even basic health services. She said pregnant women were being handled by female relatives or in experienced midwives. She added there were only two health clinics operating in the district centre while most of people resided in remote areas.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health, Dr. Knishka Tukistani, said currently about 60 percent people in Afghanistaninfo-icon had access to basic health services. The remaining 40 percent lacked such facilities due to insecurity, poverty and impassable areas, he added.

Meanwhile, Public Health Minister Suraya Dalil said significant efforts had been made over the past decade to decrease maternal mortality rate. She said child delivery cases by trained midwives had increased by 34 percent from six percent 11 years ago.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update