All NATO troops won't exit in 2014: official
KABUL (PAN): A senior NATO official in Kabul said on Thursday the alliance’s combat role would change into training and advising by the end of 2014, with foreign troops still cooperating with Afghan forces in emergency situations.
German Major General Hans-Lothar Domröse, outgoing Chief of Staff for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), told reporters in Kabul that the Afghan forces had made remarkable progress with regard to their combat ability over the past few years.
He said NATO would not fully exit Afghanistan after 2014 and promised cooperation until a strong 352,000 Afghan force was established. He insisted the Afghan forces had the ability to maintain security on their own after 2014, saying NATO would gradually start pulling out its troops once the Afghan forces reached the targeted size.
Domröse said NATO troops’ role beyond 2014 would be training and advising Afghan security forces, but they would cooperate with Afghan counterparts in the time of need and war-like situation.
About the Afghan air force, the NATO official said the force was newborn and it was expected to stand on its feet until 2017.
Domröse also commented on Tuesday’s attacks on the Supreme Court building, saying through such attacks, the rebels wanted to create anarchy in the country.
Domröse praised Afghan security forces for their quick response to the attack, saying they had been able to bring the situation under control in a short span of time.
He said such attacks could be prevented through increased cooperation between detective forces. The brazen attack showed the Taliban had no ability but to kill innocent people, he said.
Stressing the need for improved intelligence network, he said Afghan forces had been able to thwart terrorist bids on a daily basis and disrupt terror networks.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.