Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

NATO rejects UN report, condemns Khost blast

NATO rejects UN report, condemns Khost blast

Jun 15, 2013 - 15:10

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): NATOinfo-icon has denied a United Nations report that a coalition airstrike killed three children in eastern Kunar province this month.

The United Nations Children's Fund in a statement this week said an aerial attack by international forces killed three children in Kunar, condemning a steep rise in child casualties.

But the US-led coalition said Friday that the report was "simply not true.” The coalition had no aircraft operating in Kunar at the time of the June 6 incident. In a statement, the alliance said discussions with Kunar governor indicated that reports of a drone strike had been a misunderstanding.

However, UNICEF insisted that it verified all its figures and stood by the Kunar report.

Meanwhile, NATO and US top commander in Afghanistaninfo-icon Gen. Joseph F. Dunford strongly condemned a Talibaninfo-icon attack that killed a family and others in the Zazi Maidan district of southeaster Khost province on Friday.

The family was travelling attend the funeral for a relative who had been kidnapped and beheaded by the Taliban. The family was moving to the site of the funeral when an improvised explosive device was detonated at the entrance to the cemetery.

"This is utterly despicable. The Taliban killed an entire family on a Friday while they were simply trying to pay their final respects to a relative who had been brutally murdered," the International Security Assistance Force commander said.

"This is just the latest incident in a long string of Taliban brutality and disrespect against innocent Afghan civilians." The Taliban returned the beheaded body to the family Thursday.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update