Karzai condemns Peshawar attack that kills 15
KABUL/ISLAMABAD (PAN): President Hamid Karzai on Friday strongly condemned a suicide attack that killed 15 people and injured 30 others inside a mosque and seminary belonging to the Shiite minority in Pakistan’s troubled northwestern city of Peshawar.
The suicide-and-gun attack took place in the Gulshan Colony in Chamkani area when worshippers were offering Friday’s prayers, a police official told Pajhwok Afghan News on condition of anonymity.
“Attacking mosques, holy places of Muslims, killing worshipers is a clear enmity with Islam,” Karzai said in a statement issued from his office.
“The perpetrators of such attacks are not only the enemies of Islam but the humanity,” Karzai said, while offering his condolences to the families of those killed and wounded. Karzai wished speedy recovery for the injured.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack that originally involved three suicide bombers. First one suicide bomber entered the mosque and blew himself up in front of worshippers as the sermon was underway. Then two other attackers tried to enter the Imambargah, but faced stiff residence from police guards posted at the entrance to the complex.
"Two of them fled while one managed to enter the Hussani mosque after the guards were gunned down,” a police officer said.
Bomb disposal squad officials said six to seven kilograms of high intensity explosives and four kilograms of pellets were used in the blast.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Information Minister Shauakat Yousafzai confirmed that 14 people had died and at least 30 others wounded.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the incident and the loss of innocent lives while ordering immediate treatment of the victims.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.