7 ANA troops among 53 killed
CHARIKAR/KABUL (PAN): Forty-six fighters have been killed in the Shinwari district of central Parwan province over the past 24 hours, an official said on Sunday. The Taliban, however, rejected the claim as false.
At least 46 insurgents were killed and seven others wounded late on Saturday night when security forces shelled Nishtar Shahar area, where the Taliban were holding a meeting, the governor’s spokeswoman, Roshna Khalid, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The Parwan police chief confirmed the operation, saying the militants had suffered heavy casualties. But Brig. Gen. Abdur Rahman Sarjang stopped short of giving casualty figures, indicating the ongoing offensive could be extended to Siahgard district.
He also acknowledged the loss of an Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier in the incident.
On the other hand, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid spurned the official claim as baseless. He said nine ANA troops had been killed and many others wounded.
Mujahid added only six fighters had been killed and five others wounded in clashes with security personnel in Farah and Parwan provinces.
Last week, residents kept the Parwan-Bamyan highway closed for three days to protest increasing insecurity in Siahgard district. The road blockade was lifted after assurances from officials that effective measures would be taken to improve the situation.
In Kabul, the Ministry of Defence announced six troops had been killed and five others injured in different parts of the country.
The fatalities resulted from guerrilla attacks and bombings in Nangarhar, Parwan, Kandahar, Maidan Wardak, Paktia and Helmand provinces.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.