22 rebels killed in Logar offensive
PUL-I-ALAM (PAN): Twenty-two insurgents have been killed during an ongoing joint Afghan-ISAF operation -- codenamed “Nejat” -- in the Barak-i-Barak district of central Logar province, an official said on Saturday.
Launched two days ago, the offensive resulted in the killing of 22 rebels, including a commander named Mullah Humayun, over the past 24 hours, said the district police chief, Col. Raees Khan Sadiq.
He added the operation had been launched in accordance with residents’ demand and it would continue until the area was completely cleared of insurgents. Civilians and security forces have so far suffered no casualties.
The dead included six Pakistani nationals, claimed the town’s administrative head, Mohammad Rahim Amin. He said another six rebels were arrested during the operation that came after an increase in militant activities.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, rejected any fighter had been killed, saying four policemen were killed during an attack in the Baboos area.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.