280 families displaced by Baghlan fighting
PUL-I-KHUMRI (PAN): Three militants were killed and nearly 300 families displaced as a result of an operation by security personnel in the Baghlan-i-Markazi district of northern Baghlan province, officials said on Saturday.
The ongoing offensive -- codenamed Operation Eagle -- was launched three days ago by Afghan National Army and police personnel in Zikarkhel and Himmatkhel areas of Baghlan-i-Markazi district.
Police spokesman Javed Basharat told Pajhwok Afghan News three insurgents were killed and four others wounded in the operation. At least 10 villages had been cleared of the Taliban, he said.
Up to 280 families had displaced from the two areas of the district, Zikarkhel resident Arbab Abbas, said, adding his family members had migrated to the Mangal village of the district.
They were unable to harvest their crops due to ongoing fighting in the areas, complained Shahabuddin, a resident of Himmatkhel.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.