Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

UNAMA renews truce call; ISAF slams civilian deaths

UNAMA renews truce call; ISAF slams civilian deaths

Jul 10, 2013 - 18:35

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistaninfo-icon (UNAMA), denouncing a deadly bomb attack in western Herat province, on Wednesday renewed its call for a truce during the holy month of Ramadaninfo-icon.


“I reiterate the call made by UNAMA upon all parties to the conflict, issued earlier this week, to respect the sanctity of this holy month and avoid actions which could harm civilians,” the mission’s acting head said.

UNAMA strongly condemned the killing in a roadside bomb of at least 18 civilians, including eight womeninfo-icon, eight children and two men, in Obe district. The explosion also seriously wounded six children.

“I am deeply disturbed at the continued killing of Afghan civilians by improvised explosive devices,” said Secretary-General’s Deputy Special Representative for Afghanistan and acting head of UNAMA, Nicholas Haysom.

UNAMA emphasized that the use of such tactics, which failed to distinguish between civilians and combatants, was a violation of international humanitarian law and might amount to war crimes.

The International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) also condemned the killing of 22 people this week when the motorised vehicle was destroyed in the Obe district.

"These continued acts of murder against innocent women and children are appalling and unacceptable," said Gen. Joseph F. Dunford, ISAF commander.

"On behalf of the coalition, I express my sincere condolences to the victims' families.  ISAF will continue to fully support the Afghan forces as they protect the people from the terror brought about by the enemies of Afghanistan."


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update