Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Gen. Dempsey downplays talk of zero option

Gen. Dempsey downplays talk of zero option

Jul 23, 2013 - 12:37

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): A top US military official on Monday called for signing of the Bilateral Security Agreement (BSA) between Kabul and Washington by October.

Negotiations on the pact, providing for an American military presence in Afghanistaninfo-icon beyond the 2014 pullout of foreign combat troops, were suspended last month.

President Hamid Karzai announced a halt to discussions on the agreement after the opening of the Talibaninfo-icon's political office in Doha and US plans for direct talks with the insurgents,

But the Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman told reporters in Kabul the BSA negotiations would resume and the pact would be signed sooner rather than later.

Hours after talks with President Karzai, Gen. Martin Dempsey downplayed talk of the zero option -- meaning no US troops would stay in Afghanistan after 2014.

"No one has asked me to work out a zero option. I don't recommend it, but there could be a zero outcome because we can only stay here if we are invited to do so," the general remarked.

Dempsey affirmed his so personal commitment to doing whatever he could to set the conditions for the security agreement. Rapid conclusion would pave the ground for a long-term US presence in Afghanistan, he hoped.

"So October 2013 is about a year prior to that, and militarily, my advice would be that we achieve as much clarity and certainty as possible about a year out from where we would like to be in that configuration..." he said

Answering a query, Dempsey admitted a rise in casualties among Afghan forces and said police were bearing the brunt. However, he said US troops were working on a plan to cut Afghan casualties.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update