Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

35 rebels killed in Faryab offensive

35 rebels killed in Faryab offensive

Jul 24, 2013 - 14:54

MAIMANA (PANinfo-icon): Thirty-five insurgents were killed and several areas cleared during an ongoing security operation by Afghan forces, with NATOinfo-icon providing air support, in northwestern Faryab province, an official said on Wednesday.

Launched three weeks ago, the offensive was ongoing in Pashtuninfo-icon Kot district, provincial police chief Brig. Gen. Nabi Jan Mullakhel told Pajhwok Afghan News. Several militants, including notorious commander Nasirak, were injured.

Mullakhel accused Nasirak of killing a public prosecutor, Arsal, his wife and four bodyguards in Pashtunkot district. The rebel leader was able to escape in injured condition.

The police chief claimed a bomb-making factory was also discovered and 40 types of bombs neutralised during the operation.

Meanwhile, provincial National Directorate of Security (NDSinfo-icon) department in a statement said a NATO airstrike during the operation in Pashtun Kot killed seven insurgents and wounded 16 others.

It added 10 villages, including Yak Aab, Katalabi and Qala Khan, were cleared of insurgents as a result of the operation.

Resident Mohammad Tahir said the Talibaninfo-icon had been a major threat to the district’s security situation which he said had improved because of the operation. He suggested the government should provide weapons to residents in order to keep the rebels from staging a comeback.

Mullakhel said 10 security posts were being established in areas cleared of insurgents.

He also said a 30-member Taliban group had recently the joined peace process and the group had been assigned with keeping security in the area.

The group turned in 30 weapons, including rocket launchers and machineguns, to police, the police chief said.

The group leader, Sirajuddin, said the government had no writ in their area, therefore they had no option but to join the Taliban. Since the government’s writ has been established, they wanted to assist the government in initiating reconstructioninfo-icon projects, he added.




Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update