Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Offensive launched in restive districts

Offensive launched in restive districts

Jul 24, 2013 - 15:17

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Search operations were launched by Afghan security personnel in the Hesarak district of eastern Nangarhar province and the Azra town of central Logar, officials said on Wednesday.

The operations were aimed to flush out militants from the two districts that had a common border, the governor’s spokesman said.

Recently residents of Azra complained the Talibaninfo-icon fighters had closed all roads leading to the district and people faced problems, including a food shortage.

Former Hesarak district chief, Abdul Khaliq Maroof, had warned earlier in the month the district could be captured by insurgents.

The ongoing offensive in Hesarak has been codenamed Shaheen 15, 201st Selab Military Corps spokesman Col. Noman Hatifi told Pajhwok Afghan News.

Meanwhile, the 203rd Thunder Military Corps launched a similar operation against insurgent strongholds in Azra, he said. For the first time ever, Afghan troops are using air support.

After the operations, all the people of districts would be able to get their voting cards for next year’s elections without any fear, he added.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update