Terrorist attacks in Kandahar foiled
KABUL/KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): A 10-member insurgent group that planned attacks on the governor’s house in southern Kandahar province and targets elsewhere has been busted, the spy service claimed on Monday.
Weapons and ammunitions were also seized from the group, including five suicide bombers, said a statement from the National Directorate of Security (NDS) -- the Afghan intelligence agency.
The governor’s office, national figures, religious scholars and public places were on the group’s hit-list, NDS said, blaming Mullah Katib, a member of the Taliban’s Quetta Shura, for planning the attacks.
Javed Faisal, the Kandahar governor’s spokesman, verified last week’s arrests. He told Pajhwok Afghan News the detainees had confessed to their plans to target high-value target.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.