200 rebels killed, fugitives chased in Azra: Azimi
KABUL (PAN): Nearly 200 insurgents, including foreigners, and nearly a dozen Afghan troops have been killed during an operation in the Azra district of central Logar province, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said on Friday.
MoD spokesman Gen. Zahir Azimi told Pajhwok Afghan News the military and police operation had been concluded in the district, with the forces currently searching for fugitive insurgent elements.
He said security forces suffered casualties as a result of roadside bomb explosions, adding the forces would remain in the town until the area was completely cleared of miscreants.
Azimi said the Azra offensive marked the first-ever independent operation by Afghan foreign after the security transition from foreign troops.
The operation that began around 18 days ago came after residents of Azra and Hesarak district of eastern Nangarhar province complained that all roads leading to the two towns had been closed by insurgents. Hesarak and Azra share border.
The Taliban have not yet commented on the operation.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.